With Valentine’s Day round the corner it is but appropriate that I continue dedicating even this post on Udaipur, one of the most romantic places in the world.
The natural setting of the place is actually perfect to justify the “Most Romantic” epithet that has been bestowed on Udaipur. The shimmering tranquil lakes, the majestic hills, the flora, the fauna in the hilly forested areas and the colorful markets add magic and offer a romantic destination, par excellence.
So, what are the top destinations in Udaipur for the love birds? Though not in the form of any ranking, I am listing the top 5 places in Udaipur to spend a lovely day for a perfect Valentine’s Day.
1) Doodh Talai- After packing up a breakfast from the snack shops at Surajpole or the food stalls and Cafes like Cafe Coffee Day near Sajjan Niwas Garden (popularly known as Gulab Bagh), a perfect destination to go and have a lovely morning is the Doodh Talai or the Pond of Milk. The Manik Lal Vema and the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya parks offer a serene and scenic lush locale for you to not only have your food in seclusion but also spend a very intimate quality time with your partner. The amazing view of the lake Pichola, Jag Mandir and the Lake Palace with the City Palace in the foreground and the Oberoi Udai Vilas, Hotel Leela and the Trident in the background makes the experience almost surreal. A travel on the ropeway Car to the temple of Karni Mata, a local deity, is also an activity to indulge in.
2) Boat ride on the lake Pichola- The jetties on lake Pichola near Doodh Talai are the place you should head out next. Boats depart at regular intervals to take you on a round of lake Pichola. The boat ride on the glimmering water of the lake takes you close to the erstwhile pleasure palaces of the Royals of Mewar, the Jag Mandir and the Jag Niwas, the latter now known as Hotel Lake Palace, a 5 star property managed by the big Indian conglomerate Tatas.
3) The Monsoon Palace- Sajjangarh or the Monsoon Palace is another place that brings out and enhances the flavor of romance in Udaipur. This white marble palace was built by Maharana Sajjan Singh in 1884, basically to serve as a vantage point to keep a track of the monsoon clouds so as to forecast rains in and around Udaipur and also as a resort for the Royal family. It stands gloriously on the Bansdara peak of the Aravali ranges offering a bird’s eye view of the city of Udaipur and its surroundings. The steep serpentine road leading to the palace can make your romantic day, adventurous as well.
4) Lake Fatehsagar- The whole of lake Fatehsagar, provides a wonderful romantic background for a wonderful Valentine’s Day afternoon in Udaipur. Street food for lunch at the “Mumbaiya Bazaar” or sitting on the Paal (Dam) of the lake, listening to the sound of the small waves caressing its banks could be one of the most romantic things in the city. A trip to the Moti Magri complex with its Moti Mahal, an old dilapidated palace, the Memorial bronze statue of the Rajput legend Maharana Pratap mounted on his horse Chetak, a rock garden, a sun set point and greenery all around or the island garden Nehru park set amidst the lake are other romantic options that could be explored.
5) Candle lit dinner on Lake Pichola- A perfect romantic evening in Udaipur usually culminates in a candle lit dinner at one amongst the many lake facing restaurants that dot the banks of Lake Pichola. Places like Hotel Fateh Prakash’s the Sunset Terrace, popularly known as the Dove Cote or the Ambrai restaurant offer you not only great food but also an enviable ambiance that reinforces the belief of Udaipur being one of the most Romantic Places in the World.
So, plan your perfect Valentine Day and explore Udaipur-The Romantic City.